Thursday, February 25, 2010

Why Aren't We in the Kitchen?


After speaking with a friend, I've come to the conclusion that I do not know very many females my age that cook on a regular basis if at all. I'm 22 years old and I cook pretty often seeing as though I live alone and need to save money. If I don't cook dinner then I'd need to eat out at least twice daily and that can be extremely expensive. That's it. That's why I cook! It's honestly the only reason I cook so I can't act holier than thou. I will be making candied yams for the first time tonight so wish me luck! Cooking is a learning process for me and I'm beginning to enjoy it more. I met a guy and he had a great philosophy for he looks at cooking as an art form. He compares his dishes to works of art that he enjoys creating. I haven't quite gotten to this point yet, but hey. I must admit that if I had the means or a schedule that would allow me to dine out daily, I probably would. But what about you or those you know?

After doing a little field research I've noticed that women want to be wined and dined while being courted. This is fine and dandy, but how long should this last? Doesn't everyone want to stay at home and have dinner while watching movies or something? We've all heard the saying

"The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach..."

yet some refuse to cook. Is it because women have gotten lazy over the years? Are men no longer worthy of us slaving in the kitchen? Have societal roles changed that much? Granted, women no longer have to be extremely submissive and are often the ones bringing home the bacon but is a home cooked meal every once in a while too much to ask? Women complain that there are no "good men" around but in the event that we find one, will we be prepared? Cooking is an essential part of life and if you desire to get married and have children one day, I suggest that you start practicing now. If you ask me, some of this obesity is directly related to the lack of cooking that exists nowadays. I know women with children who buy fast food each day for some type of convenience. This is getting out of control! What are your thoughts?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

3 comments:

  1. So here's someting very few of my friends know about me: I can cook. Like, I can really cook. I don't like to tell people, because... well, I'm not sure why. But I do know that if you're going to get married and have kids at least one person in that marriage should know how to cook. Maybe we women feel like cooking is too antifeminist? I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antifeminist? Hmmm... I'm not so sure. I think that we, as women, have gotten extremely lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't get why some ppl feel the need to boast they cannot cook.......I mean cooking is fun and creative after all paula deen said it best "once you can read you can cook"

    ReplyDelete