Saturday, August 24, 2013

Update

It's been ages since I blogged. I know, I'm a horrible blogger. I always have the best intentions and a strong desire to constantly post updates, but sometimes life gets in the way. To give myself some credit, I must mention that I have been keeping this blog up-to-date so it's not like I've been completely slacking. I also have a full-time job so when I get home, blogging is usually the last time on my mind. However, I want that to change.

In the beginning of 2013 I didn't have just one new year's resolution, I had several. The main one was to apply (not get in, but apply) to graduate school. I also wanted my freelance journalism career to flourish allowing my work into a few different publications. I also wanted to get a website professionally designed so that I could set up an online portfolio. There were a couple other random goals I had, but I won't bore you with them... The point I'm trying to make is simple. I want to do a lot of things in this lifetime. I want to be successful, but hey... Who doesn't? There's a difference between wanting things and being prepared to do what it takes to get them. I'd love to write this super inspirational blog post that will inspire everyone to get up and do work, but the truth is I'm still learning this concept myself.

In a previous blog post I mentioned how much I love quotes. I recently saw a post on instagram which read "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing" or something like that. I now realize how much I needed to make an adjustment to my main thing. My main thing used to be writing, but then it turned into making money. Instead of continuously blogging and doing what I'm passionate about, I got a second job as a server at a restaurant. Hey, it was easy money or so I thought... I didn't know that serving tables and standing on my feet for hours would drain me so much that I wouldn't want to write at all.

I'm happy to report that I no longer serve tables and my main new year's resolution has reached fruition. I not only applied, but got admitted and I'll begin studying to get a Master's in Communication in two days. I am my new main thing. I not only want to write, I want to use my talents to help build brands and make a difference. My career is important to me and as a graduate student, I will learn as much as possible and capitalize on all available opportunities so I can have a career that not only makes me money, but makes me happy as well.

This journey will not be easy for me. For starters, with graduate school comes expensive tuition that I cannot yet afford out-of-pocket so I'll be getting a student loan. And since I hate the thought of owing thousands of dollars for years and years so I've taken on yet another second job to help pay for school. I know what you're thinking... Didn't she learn her lesson last time? I learned my lesson and I will not be overwhelming myself ever again! This new job enables me to sit down, in fact I'm here now as I'm writing this blog. Another perk is I don't have to worry about working late nights like I did in the restaurant.

The last eight months have been interesting for me. I've grown both personally and professionally, but I had to sit and be really honest with myself to find out what my obstacles are. I procrastinate often and I value sleep too much. I kid you not, I'd do anything to be able to take a two-hour nap everyday, LoL. However, I will have to lay off sleep since I'm not yet where I want to be. I'll get less sleep for the next five months or so, but hopefully it will all pay off in the long run.

The more I write, the more this seems like a personal journal, oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to document my grad school experience because it may help others. We shall see... Enough about me, let's get to the point of this post. How have you been and how was your summer? What are your goals for the rest of the year? Are you 100% set on them or are you open to taking an alternate route if needed? That's all I have for now, but I'll leave you with this quote:

"Do what you love and the necessary resources will follow."
Thanks for reading,

Alexandria B

1 comment:

  1. How crazy is that while I was dusting my own blogging cob webs I came across this :)
    Welcome back and I love What Alex Writes!

    ReplyDelete